Thursday, August 09, 2007

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

Hmmmmm am being a bad blogger at the minute. There is stuff I want to write, but I'm afraid that I might offend some people if I do. I'm not ready to offend those people just yet, though I might be in a few days, you never know ;)

Since moving on from CLB (church left behind) & when I've felt up to it I've visited a few places trying to see if there is somewhere I can connect with & find God. As I've visited other churches, I've slowly become more disillusioned with what church in the 21st Century is.

Several times I've walked into a church over the past few months, sat on my own (strategically on the end of a row in the middle of the room), and left again after the service an hour later with no one having spoken to me, apart from the odd smile as people climbed over me to get a seat. At first I thought maybe they were visitors too, but judging by the conversations they were having with others on the rows either side, maybe not.....

Even hanging around after for a bit to try & find out a bit more about the church didn't elict conversation.......

I have a couple of things in my head from these experiences - either how we (the collective) do church these days is dead & needs changed or the Christians I came into contact with really were just unfriendly & need reminded to 'welcome the stranger into their midst'.

I guess my thought, or plea, or whatever you want to call it is this: to faith communities - look out for the stranger/ visitor in your midst and say hello. I'm not asking for you to tell me your life story or be my best friend, I just want to feel like I can connect with someone for 5 minutes. Cos at the minute I'm waving goodbye to the churches I've visited & don't know if I'll be back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home