Monday, January 01, 2007

Closest Book Game

Is that how you spell close-est ??? I'm not sure.... anyways, here's what you gotta do:

The rules are:
1. Grab the nearest book (either beside your computer monitor or your bed !)
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next four sentences on your blog, along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that “cool” or “intellectual” book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest!

Have been meaning to do this for a while now. Haven't had a book sitting beside the computer monitor to play, but came down tonight with book in hand, so here goes.....

The book is "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell:

(have had to go for page 124 as 123 is a blank page)

"As his movment gathered steam, this Jewish man came to be talked about more & more as God, fully divine as well as fully human. As his followers talked about him and did what he said and told and retold his stories, the significance of his life began to take on all sorts of cosmic dimensions. They realised that something much bigger was going on here, involving them and the people around them and all of creation."

OK I cheated & copied an extra line so it'd make sense. This is one of my books of the year (will blog about this later). Rob Bell has challenged me often over the past few months through this book & through his teachings (download his sermons at Mars Hill Bible Church website). For me especially, he has challenged me to take my faith & all I've been taught & examine it for myself rather than accepting my parents/ friends/ churchs view without question. He has taken me back to the Bible & encouraged me to read Jesus' teachings in light of the culture of the day & in knowledge of how His words & actions (& those around Him) relate to the Old Testament and the signifance of this.

I encourage everyone to read this book.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home